Each environmental division maintains separate records:
- Hazardous Material and Waste Management Division records request
- Water Quality Control Division records requests
Records pertaining to underground storage tanks (UST) are held by the Office of Oil and Public Safety. You may visit their website for information about how to request those records.
Records and Data Request
Please do not email staff directly as this may delay the time it takes to respond to your request.
Please include as much information as possible when submitting your request. For example, if you submit a request for all records for a facility, it may require significant staff time to provide. However, if you only want the permit for a facility, we can respond quickly. Information can include:
Types of documents being requested, date ranges, address, AIRS IDs and permit numbers
When a request is received, staff will ascertain the volume of available responsive materials and notify the requestor. The requestor will be notified if there are no responsive materials.
Materials can be obtained in a variety of methods:
- Materials may be uploaded to the database and accessed via the Public Access Viewer.
- Materials may be shared via Google Drive. Please download files within seven calendar days of being notified of the shared drive. Shared settings are timed for seven calendar days.
- Materials may be burned to CD/DVD or thumb drive. There are associated fees for this.
- Hard copy records may be copied by scanning and provided digitally via the Public Access Viewer or Google Drive. The Division may opt to use the state’s contracted vendor for scanning. There are associated fees for this.
- Materials may be sent via email, not to exceed the Department’s email limitations.
- FTP sites will not be used by the Division
On-site file reviews are by appointment only. We cannot respond to drop in file review requests. Hours available are Monday thru Friday, 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm. On-site file reviews may be reduced or eliminated due to Covid-19 response.
Data retrieval and manipulation can sometimes be performed to create a record. This is done on a case-by-case basis. When requesting a data retrieval, please specify the data elements and specific selection criteria. There are associated fees for this.
Please refer to the Department’s policy for fees and other information. Fees must be paid prior to the retrieval, review and release of records, or for retrieval and manipulation of data. The Division uses the online portal to accept payment. The payment portal can either accept credit cards or check payments. The portal can be found here: https://cdphe.stg.colorado.gov/payrevenue
You can find the Department’s policy here: https://cdphe.colorado.gov/department-policy-217-open-records
If there is a discrepancy between this guidance and the Department’s policy, the Department’s policy takes precedence.