Emergency Medical Service provider/responder education centers and groups are recognized by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. An education program account administrator must be established to apply for education program recognition via the Online Application Tracking Hub portal.
Types of education programs
Education Center - offers initial courses, refresher courses, and continuing education topics
Education Group - offers continuing education and skills competency verification ONLY
Education program roles in OATH
The following roles are assigned to education program staff. All roles require the staff member to log into their personal OATH account. The account administrator role must be established before other roles can be assigned.
Education Program Account Administrator - The primary contact who is granted access to the Education Program Recognition application in OATH. Must renew this role annually or within 60 days of a staff change by completing a new Education Program - Account Administrator application.
Education Program Director - The person responsible for the administration, organization, and supervision of the education program. Assigned by the Account Administrator in the Education Program Recognition application.
Authorized Signer - The person or people responsible for signing off on EMS Provider CE/Skills attestation forms or EMR Registrant CE attestation forms in OATH. Assigned by the Account Administrator in the Education Program Recognition application.
Follow these steps to apply for the education program account administrator role. The account administrator role must be established before applying for education program recognition.
Applying for education program account administrator
- Designate an education program account administrator. Only one administrator is allowed per education program.
- Contact the EMS Operations Specialist at email@example.com to request an application be added to the designated administrator's OATH account.
- Find the account administrator application under the "My Applications" tab.
- Complete the Education Program - Account Administrator application and await approval.
After approval, the education program recognition application will be visible under the "Service Applications" tab in the administrator's OATH account.
Important! - The education program administrator role must be renewed annually or within 60 days of a staff change.
Applying for education program recognition
- Gather all documents requested in the recognition application.
- Find the recognition application under the "Service Applications" tab.
- Complete and submit the Education Program Recognition application by selecting:
- Initial - if the education program is not recognized, recognition is expired, or is applying for Education Center recognition status.
- Update - to change key program staff, assign authorized signers, move between recognition levels, or notify the department of other significant changes to the program.
- Renewal - if the education program's expiration date is within six months.
Renewal of education program recognition is required two years after initial recognition and every five years thereafter.
Education and training resources
- Colorado EMS Rules - 6 CCR 1015-3
- Chapter 1 - Rules Pertaining to Emergency Medical Services Education and Certification
- Chapter 2 - Rules Pertaining to EMS Practice and Medical Director Oversight
- Colorado education standards for recognition of centers
- Colorado education standards for recognition of groups
- Required CE categories and hours listing
- EMS instructor course curriculum
- Colorado IV/IO therapy and medication administration course curriculum
- National emergency medical services education standards
- National educational standards compared with Colorado scope of practice
- Colorado medical direction and scope of practice waivers
- Information for EMS providers
- CREATE education grant funding