Scope of practice waiver requests
Medical directors may submit a request to modify the Colorado standard EMS scope of practice for the EMS service(s) they oversee. Waiver requests must be completed and submitted by each application submission deadline. The Emergency Medical Practice Advisory Council reviews requests quarterly.
Once a waiver is approved by the department, a scope of practice waiver allows the EMS providers affiliated with that service to preform acts or administer drugs that are outside of their scope of practice. To apply for a waiver, registered medical directors must log on to their OATH account and click "Scope of Practice Waiver" under applications.
The application process is similar to the EMS provider certification application process. The EMS scope of practice waiver application consists of a waiver application form and an optional waiver delegate selection form. All medical directors registered in OATH are eligible to apply for a scope of practice waiver.
Waiver submission tips
- Use the most current version of Google Chrome. OATH may not be compatible with other web browsers.
- You must have an OATH account and be registered as medical director for each agency named in a waiver application.
- Have justification of need, literature review, protocols and other documentation prepared as Word documents or PDF files prior to starting the waiver application.
- When selecting agencies in the waiver application form, only include the agency or agencies intended for the waiver. If the medical director is registered for more than one agency, all will be selected by default. Deselect the agencies that are not to be included in the specific waiver.
- Only service agencies can be indicated in a waiver. Deselect any agency names that end in “-Education Program.”
- April 15
- July 15
- October 15
The OATH waiver application process is a multi-step process similar to the application process for EMS provider certification, with forms completed by both the medical director and/or waiver delegate and department staff. This can be completed at your convenience over several days or by appointment in one session.
To complete the exchange of forms in one session, please contact Mike Bateman at (303) 692-2989 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please have your individual file uploads already prepared.