Radioactive materials licensing

Unless specifically exempted by regulation or statute, all possession, use, treatment and disposal of radioactive materials in Colorado is regulated under either a general or a specific radioactive materials license.
  • Major projects that impact, or may impact, the radiological quality of the human environment require a specific license including source material milling and commercial waste storage, treatment or disposal.
  • A specific license is also required for radioactive materials used in portable gauges, well logging, industrial radiography, nuclear medicine applications, laboratory studies and other analytical devices.
  • The possession and use of certain devices containing radioactive materials, like tritium exit signs, are regulated under a general license. These devices are made by a manufacturer operating under a specific license.