About the system
The State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS) collects data on unintentional drug overdose deaths, and those of undetermined intent, that occurred in Colorado. SUDORS collects information from a variety of data sources, including death certificates, coroner/medical examiner reports, and toxicology reports. The purpose of the data is to provide a more complete understanding of when, where, and how drug overdose deaths occur, as well as other circumstances related to these events.
SUDORS is part of the larger, Overdose Data to Action (OD2A) grant from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More information on OD2A is available at https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/od2a/index.html. For more information on CDPHE work related to drug overdose prevention visit the Colorado Drug Overdose Prevention Program.
The goal for the data of the SUDORS is to provide information to help public health officials, overdose prevention groups, policymakers, law enforcement, community stakeholders and the general public to better understand the problems and guide local action plans for prevention. Data collection for the Colorado SUDORS began for deaths in July 2019, and is completed on a six-month data collection calendar.
- HealthWatch No. 124: Comparison of Unintentional and Intentional Drug Overdose Deaths, Including Measures of Social Vulnerability, July 2019 to December 2021, Colorado residents.
- HealthWatch No. 123: Comparison of Adolescent Drug Overdose Deaths in Colorado compared to the United States, State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS), July 2019 to December 2021
- HealthWatch No. 122: Unintentional Drug Overdose Deaths: Summary from the State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System (SUDORS), July 2019 to December 2021, Colorado Occurrences.
- HealthWatch No. 119: Colorado’s State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System: Overdose Deaths from July 2019 to December 2020, an 18-month summary.
- Health Watch No. 113: Summary from the State Unintentional Drug Overdose Reporting System: Overdose Deaths from July to December 2019, Colorado Occurrences.
Other relevant data
- CDC SUDORS Data Dashboard for Fatal Overdose Data. View final SUDORS data and download a dataset with annual counts, percentages, and rates (per 100,000 persons) overall and by jurisdiction.
- Colorado Drug Overdose Data Dashboard. County and state-level data for Colorado from multiple sources, including detailed information about drug prescribing, non-fatal emergency department visits and hospitalizations, and drug overdose deaths, prepared by the Violence and Injury Prevention - Mental Health Promotion Branch and Overdose Prevention Unit.
- HealthWatch No. 118: Drug Overdose Deaths in Colorado: Final Data for 2010-2020.
- HealthWatch No. 106: Drug Overdose Deaths in Colorado-Final Data for 1999-2017.
Partner data programs
For suicide or homicide-related data and information, please visit the Colorado Violent Death Reporting System (CoVDRS) website.
For other vital statistics data and information (births, deaths, fetal deaths, induced terminations of pregnancy), please visit the Colorado Vital Statistics Program website.
For other public health data, please visit the Colorado Health Information Dataset (CoHID).
For inquiries about the system or for data requests contact: