Current rulemaking activities
The Radiation Program is holding a stakeholder process to engage and notify stakeholders about proposed changes to the following Colorado Rules and Regulations Pertaining to Radiation Control, 6 CCR 1007-1:
- Part 7: Use of radionuclides in the healing arts.
- Part 17: Transportation of radioactive materials.
- Part 22: Physical protection of category 1 and category 2 quantities of radioactive material.
The proposed rule changes to these radioactive materials related regulations are needed to conform to recent minor federal rule changes of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and to make minor editorial corrections. The purpose and intent of each proposed change is described in the side margin comments of the draft rules below.
- Part 7 draft proposed rule (May 2022).
- Part 17 draft proposed rule (May 2022).
- Part 22 draft proposed rule (May 2022).
Stakeholders may also refer to the details of rule change summary for further information about the proposed changes to these regulations.
Note that the proposed rule changes will not impact facilities that use only x-ray machines.
Stakeholder comment period
A stakeholder comment period begins May 23, 2022 and ends June 30, 2022. Stakeholders are invited to provide written comments on the proposed regulations to cdphe_CORadRegs@state.co.us on or before June 30, 2022.
Due to the minor nature of the rule changes, no stakeholder meetings will be held. Stakeholders may however contact rulemaking staff at any time regarding questions about these proposed rule changes.
See the full rulemaking schedule (timeline) for these rules.
- Part 8, Part 5 and Part 2, effective Aug. 14, 2021.
- Part 21, effective July 15, 2021.
- Part 16 and Part 19, effective July 15, 2021.
- Part 2 and Part 6. effective Oct. 15, 2020.
- Part 17 and Part 22, effective Oct. 15, 2020.
- Part 3 and Part 7, effective Aug. 14, 2020.
Guide to additional information about radiation regulations now in effect
Following an extensive stakeholder process, on November 18, 2020, the Colorado Board of Health adopted the Part 20 TENORM rule along with related changes to the Part 12 regulation. The new rule became effective on January 14, 2021 and is enforceable beginning July 14, 2022.
Although the regulation is complete, with assistance and input from impacted stakeholders, the Radiation program continues to develop guidance to assist in the implementation of the Part 20 TENORM rule.