The Public Health Intervention Program (PHIP) helps you pay for PrEP-related care and medications. PrEP is FDA-approved medication that reduces the risk of acquiring HIV. It is more than 99% effective. PHIP is available to any person living in Colorado with an income less than 500% of the Federal Poverty Level.
****If you currently have Health First Colorado (Colorado Medicaid), your PrEP costs should be covered at a minimal $1-3 co-pay for services and medication. PHIP is not an option for you.You may qualify for Medicaid if your income is $0-$1,677 per month before taxes.
- You must live in Colorado.
- Your income is less than 500% Federal Poverty Level.
- In 2023, the 500% FPL for a household of one is $72,900.
- You meet medical criteria for PrEP.
|PHIP Type||Medication||Medical Visits||Lab Work|
|PHIP Insured||Co-pay assistance (after all available patient assistance programs have been exhausted)||Covers any cost sharing after insurance coverage is exhausted||Covers any cost sharing after insurance coverage is exhausted|
|PHIP Uninsured||Cost assistance (after all available patient assistance programs have been exhausted)||Cost assistance with eligible providers (see map below)||Cost assistance with eligible providers (see map below)|
|PHIP Medicare||Co-pay assistance for medications covered by prescription drug plans and on the PHIP formulary.||Covers any cost sharing after insurance coverage is exhausted||Covers any cost sharing after insurance coverage is exhausted|
Whether you are applying online or by paper, please provide the following documents:
- Proof of income (i.e. one month's worth of paystubs, award letter, prior year tax returns, etc.) If you are not able to provide proof of income, email our team or call us at 303-692-2716 for assistance.
- Your insurance card (if you have one) and/or summary of benefits.
- If you have insurance, you must apply for the Gilead Co-Pay Card, which contributes $7,200/year towards the costs of brand name Truvada® or Descovy®. Be sure to sign up and activate your card immediately.
- If you do not have insurance, you must apply for Gilead Advancing Access, which covers the full cost of brand name Truvada® or Descovy® . You may access services only at a PHIP contracted site as listed on the PHIP-PrEP provider map.
- If you are a youth who does not want to use their parent’s health insurance or a spouse who does not want to use their spouse’s health insurance, email our team or call us at 303-692-2716 for assistance.
Apply for PHIP
- PHIP Application Online
- PHIP Application and Recertification Form | PHIP formulario de solicitud & recertificación
Using a paper application form? Fax your application to PHIP at 303-691-7736 or mail it to:
CDPHE Care and Treatment Program
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246
Additional documents for application or renewal
- 2023 Federal Poverty Level Chart
- Gilead Advancing Access Application online
- Paper Gilead Advancing Access Application
- Ready, Set, PrEP!
- Other PrEP Assistance Programs
Find a PHIP Provider
The map below can locate the closest PHIP provider and other PrEP resources to your zip code and/or location. Use the search bar to look for resources in your area. You can also use the filter to choose the type of resource you are looking for:
- Providers that accept PHIP Uninsured
- Providers that accept PHIP Insured (you can also seek services from an in-network provider using your own health insurance)
- Providers that accept PHIP Medicare
- School-based health clinics in our PHIP network
- PrEP navigators to help connect people seeking PrEP to care, enroll in PHIP, find a provider, navigate insurance coverage, and/or make an appointment.
****Clinics with Spanish speaking providers are listed when available.
Mobile users: View map in a separate tab.
Are you a PrEP provider?
Contact us or call us at 1-844-367-7075 to learn how you can join the PHIP Provider network.
Email our team or call:
- the SDAP help desk line at 303-692-2716; OR
- the PrEP Hotline at 1-844-367-7075.