The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is developing guidance for implementation of 6 CCR 1007-1 Part 20 – Registration and Licensing of Technologically Enhanced Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (TENORM). The Board of Health adopted the rule on November 18, 2020, and it will become effective January 14, 2021. The rule allows for an 18 month period of time after the effective date for TENORM stakeholders and impacted facilities to characterize their existing materials, make a TENORM determination, and prepare for compliance with the rule, before requirements become enforceable on July 14, 2022.
We expect the guidance to include, at a minimum, the following contents:
1. Scope and applicability of Part 20.
2. TENORM regulatory structure in Part 20.
3. TENORM registration.
4. Section-by-section explanation of Part 20 requirements.
5. Detailed guidance on at least the following topics, as addendums to the guidance document:
a. Industry specific TENORM determinations, including TENORM characterization, sampling and analysis, and compliance demonstration.
b. Background determination.
c. Worker training.
d. Worker safety, occupational monitoring, and surveys.
Working drafts and revisions of the guidance are posted here when available:
Working draft 09/22/2020 - for guidance topics No. 1-4
We are hosting ongoing virtual forums starting in January 2021 related to guidance development for the Part 20 rule.
Guidance development forum details:
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month (first session on Tuesday, January 12).
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Zoom webinar link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87671584994.
- Dial-in (audio only): 1-346-248-7799, pin 87671584994#
- January 12 discussion topics.
To guide the forum discussion and guidance development, we are soliciting questions or issues the stakeholders may have regarding TENORM characterization and implementation of Part 20 requirements.
- Please submit your questions at least one week prior to each session.
- Feedback from these forums will be incorporated into the TENORM frequently asked questions page.
Information from past stakeholder meetings
11/16/2020 - Disposal facilities.
Nov. 16, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
11/10/2020 - Oil and gas industry.
Nov. 10, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
11/4/2020 - Wastewater treatment, other water treatment and beneficial use.
Nov. 4, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
Department approved background values
Radium-228: 1.3 pCi/g
Lead-210: 1.4 pCi/g
Polonium-210: 1.4 pCi/g
SW-846 data evaluation (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine the upper confidence limit of the data and number of samples needed to demonstrate compliance with regulatory limits or other thresholds.
Site specific background determination (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine an adequate site specific background.
Registration form and instructions (to be developed)