The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is developing guidance for implementation of 6 CCR 1007-1 Part 20 – Registration and Licensing of Technologically Enhanced Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (TENORM). Part 20 became effective on January 14, 2021. The rule allows for an 18 month period of time after the effective date for TENORM stakeholders and impacted facilities to characterize their existing materials, make a TENORM determination, and prepare for compliance with the rule, before requirements in Part 20 become enforceable on July 14, 2022. The guidance will include, at a minimum, the following topics:
- General guidance: Working draft 09/22/2020.
- Scope and applicability of Part 20.
- TENORM regulatory structure in Part 20.
- TENORM registration.
- Section-by-section explanation of Part 20 requirements.
- TENORM characterization: Revision 04/05/2021.
- Background determination.
- Worker training.
- Worker safety, occupational monitoring, and surveys.
We are hosting ongoing virtual forums starting in January 2021 related to guidance development for the Part 20 rule.
Guidance development forum details:
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month.
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Zoom webinar link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85047984222.
- Dial-in (audio only): 1-346-248-7799, pin 85047984222#
- January 12 discussion topics.
- January 26 discussion topics.
- February 9 discussion topics.
- February 23 meeting has been cancelled.
- March 9 discussion topics.
- March 23 discussion topics.
- April 13 discussion topics.
- April 27 discussion topics.
To guide the forum discussion and guidance development, we are soliciting questions or issues the stakeholders may have regarding TENORM characterization and implementation of Part 20 requirements.
- Please submit your questions at least one week prior to each session.
- Feedback from these forums will be incorporated into the TENORM frequently asked questions page.
Information from past stakeholder meetings
11/16/2020 - Disposal facilities.
Nov. 16, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
11/10/2020 - Oil and gas industry.
Nov. 10, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
11/4/2020 - Wastewater treatment, other water treatment and beneficial use.
Nov. 4, 2020 PowerPoint presentation
Department approved background values
Radium-228: 1.3 pCi/g
Lead-210: 1.4 pCi/g
Polonium-210: 1.4 pCi/g
SW-846 data evaluation (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine the upper confidence limit of the data and number of samples needed to demonstrate compliance with regulatory limits or other thresholds.
Site specific background determination (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine an adequate site specific background.
Registration form and instructions (to be developed)