The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is developing guidance for implementation of 6 CCR 1007-1 Part 20 – Registration and Licensing of Technologically Enhanced Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (TENORM). Part 20 became effective on January 14, 2021. The rule allows for an 18 month period of time after the effective date for TENORM stakeholders and impacted facilities to characterize their existing materials, make a TENORM determination, and prepare for compliance with the rule, before requirements in Part 20 become enforceable on July 14, 2022. The guidance will include, at a minimum, the following topics:
- General guidance: Revision 06/03/2021.
- Scope and applicability of Part 20.
- TENORM regulatory structure in Part 20.
- TENORM registration.
- Section-by-section explanation of Part 20 requirements.
- TENORM characterization: Revision 04/05/2021.
- Background determination.
- Worker training.
- Worker safety, occupational monitoring, and surveys
Draft Pipe characterization guidance and tools for comment:
- Draft Addendum D for pipe characterization.
- Draft pipe survey flow chart.
- Draft pipe characterization spreadsheet calculator.
Please provide your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB, October 29, 2021. These drafts will be discussed in the next guidance development forum scheduled on October 12, 2021.
We are hosting ongoing virtual forums starting in January 2021 related to guidance development for the Part 20 rule.
Guidance development forum details:
- Every second Tuesday of the month.
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Zoom webinar link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85047984222.
- Dial-in (audio only): 1-346-248-7799, pin 85047984222#
- January 12 discussion topics.
- January 26 discussion topics.
- February 9 discussion topics.
- February 23 meeting has been cancelled.
- March 9 discussion topics.
- March 23 discussion topics.
- April 13 discussion topics.
- April 27 discussion topics.
- May 11 discussion topics.
- May 25 meeting has been cancelled.
- June 8 discussion topics.
- July 13 discussion topics.
- August 10 - Drop-In Q&A only.
- September 14 - Drop-In Q&A only.
- October 12 discussion topics.
- November 9 - Drop-In Q&A only.
- December 14 meeting has been cancelled.
- January 11, 2022 - Drop-In Q&A only.
To guide the forum discussion and guidance development, we are soliciting questions or issues the stakeholders may have regarding TENORM characterization and implementation of Part 20 requirements.
- Please submit your questions at least one week prior to each session.
- Feedback from these forums will be incorporated into the TENORM frequently asked questions page.
SW-846 data evaluation (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine the upper confidence limit of the data and number of samples needed to demonstrate compliance with regulatory limits or other thresholds.
SW-846 data evaluation - expanded version to accommodate up 250 sample results (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
Site specific background determination (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine an adequate site specific background.
Registration form and instructions (to be developed)