The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is developing guidance for implementation of 6 CCR 1007-1 Part 20 – Registration and Licensing of Technologically Enhanced Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (TENORM). Part 20 became effective on January 14, 2021 and enforceable on July 14, 2022. The guidance will include, at a minimum, the following topics:
- General guidance: revision 3/13/2023.
- Addendum A: TENORM Characterization: revision 3/13/2023.
- Addendum B: Site-specific Background Determination revision 5/9/2022.
- Addendum C: Employee Training revision 7/5/2022.
Draft Pipe characterization guidance and tools for comment:
- Draft Addendum D for pipe characterization.
- Draft pipe survey flow chart.
- Draft pipe characterization spreadsheet calculator.
May 13, 2021 Letter to TENORM generators and disposal facilities - characterization and management expectations for TENORM wastes prior to July 14, 2022
We are hosting ongoing virtual forums starting in January 2021 related to guidance development for the Part 20 rule.
Guidance development forum details:
Every second Tuesday of the month from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Zoom webinar link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85047984222.
Dial-in (audio only): 1-346-248-7799, pin 85047984222#
- March 14, 2023 - Drop-In Q&A only.
- February 14, 2023 discussion topics:
- Upcoming revisions to Part 20 TENORM guidance: we will summarize the key updates to the General Guidance and Addendum A.
- January 10, 2023 - Drop-In Q&A only.
To guide the forum discussion and guidance development, we are soliciting questions or issues the stakeholders may have regarding TENORM characterization and implementation of Part 20 requirements.
- Please submit your questions at least one week prior to each session.
- Feedback from these forums will be incorporated into the TENORM frequently asked questions page.
Sign up for email alerts / Regístrate para recibir alertas por correo electrónico
Information from past stakeholder meetings
SW-846 data evaluation (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine the upper confidence limit of the data and number of samples needed to demonstrate compliance with regulatory limits or other thresholds.
SW-846 data evaluation - expanded version to accommodate up 250 sample results (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
Site specific background determination (An Excel spreadsheet; please download and open with Excel to review)
This spreadsheet allows an entity to enter in TENORM concentration data to determine an adequate site specific background.
Decision-making flowchart for compliance with Part 20
Summary table of Part 20 registration requirements