Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed child cares to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless they have a certificate of medical or nonmedical exemption on file. You must file a certificate of exemption at each school, or child care the student attends. To protect unvaccinated children, students with an exemption from one or more required vaccines may be kept out of a school or child care during a disease outbreak.
- Students with a completed Certificate of medical exemption signed by an advanced practice nurse, a delegated physician assistant, or physician licensed to practice medicine or osteopathic medicine in any state or territory of the United States will need to submit this Certificate only once unless the student’s information or school changes.
- You can submit a Certificate of medical exemption with CDPHE to include in the Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS). Check with your student’s school, child care or college/university to find out if they want the printed copy of the Certificate of medical exemption or, if they can access the “submitted” document from CIIS.
- Per Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-2403(2.5), immunizing providers must submit medical exemption data to CIIS.
For the 2021-2022 school year in Colorado:
Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year (7/1/2021), the process of submitting a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to submit a nonmedical exemption.
Be sure to check with your student’s school, child care or college/university to find out if they need a printed copy of the Certificate of nonmedical exemption. If you submit to CIIS, the school can access the exemption information in CIIS, but cannot access the completed Certificate of nonmedical exemption
- Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider in Colorado who is a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathic medicine, advanced practice nurse, delegated physician’s assistant, registered nurse, or pharmacist OR
- Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of CDPHE’s Online Immunization Education Module.
- Per Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-2403, immunizing providers who sign the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption must submit nonmedical exemption data to CIIS
- Parents of students in preschool or child care must submit nonmedical exemptions at 2, 4, 6, 12 and 18 months of age. These exemptions expire when the next vaccines are due or when the child enrolls in kindergarten.
- Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must submit one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30th each year. If you submit a Certificate of nonmedical exemption on or before June 30th, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you submit the exemption during early registration.
- Students in college/university claiming a nonmedical exemption must submit a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption upon enrollment.
Downloadable Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption:
In order to successfully move through this Online Module and obtain the Certificate, you must review the “Technical Guidance and Troubleshooting Document”
- We do not recommend using a mobile device to complete the course and form.
- The Online Immunization Education Module is available 24 hours a day and seven days a week. It can take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- At the completion of the module, you will be able to complete an electronic form to obtain a Certificate of nonmedical exemption. You can complete this form for more than one child without having to retake the course.
- IMPORTANT: Certificates of Nonmedical Exemption expire each year on June 30th. If you submit a Certificate of nonmedical exemption on or before June 30th, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you submit the Certificate during early registration.
Downloadable Immunization Education Module Transcripts
To submit forms to us (optional):
Attn: Vaccine Exemption
Colorado Immunization Branch
Attn: Vaccine Exemption
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246