The content provided on this webpage is intended for technical audiences and professionals in the health information technology field. It may include specialized terminology, complex concepts, and detailed information.
Stage 1 Promoting Interoperability guidance is for eligible hospitals and providers that want to participate in Medicare and Medicaid electronic health record incentive programs, which provide financial incentives for the “Promoting Interoperability” of certified electronic health record technology.
For Promoting Interoperability, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment provides technical and administrative support for electronic lab, immunization registry, syndromic surveillance, and cancer registry reporting.
Promoting Interoperability is the application of certified electronic health records technology to ensure it's connected in a manner that provides for the electronic exchange of health information to improve the quality of care, and, in using that technology, the provider must submit to the secretary of Health and Human Services information on quality of care and other measures.
How to participate
- Register your intent to attest for any or all public health objectives within the Colorado Public Health Reporting portal (CoPHR).
- Review the requirements and guidance for Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR), Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS), syndromic surveillance, and cancer registry.
- You will be contacted by our staff or the local public health agency responsible for each objective, and then you can start the onboarding process specific to that objective. Details for the onboarding process for each objective can be found in the objective-specific links below.
- Electronic laboratory reporting
- Electronic Case reporting
- Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS)
- Cancer Registry
- CDPHE declaration of readiness
- Colorado Health Observation Regional Data Service (CHORDS) specialized registry
- Syndromic surveillance email
As of January 2023, syndromic surveillance transitioned to CDPHE. Email requests for Promoting Interoperability letters to email@example.com.
For Stage 2 Promoting Interoperability, CDPHE provides technical and administrative support for electronic lab, immunization, syndromic surveillance and cancer registry reporting.