Electronic case reporting is the automated generation and transmission of case reports from electronic health records to public health agencies.
How are eCR and ELR (electronic laboratory reporting) different?
Electronic lab reporting (ELR) is the electronic transmission from laboratories to public health of laboratory reports that identify notifiable conditions, while eCR is the automatic generation of an initial case report from a provider's Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and transmission to public health for review and action.
Electronic Case Reporting Information:
Electronic Case Reporting (eCR) | CDC
File types: The state of Colorado uses the HL7 electronic initial case report (eICR) standards (R1.1 and R3) for electronic case reporting (eCR) and to support the new CMS Promoting Interoperability regulations for eCR. It is these standards that we will use to eventually eliminate manual reporting requirements. The state of Colorado implements eCR through AIMS using the Reportable Condition Knowledge Management System (RCKMS) tool. To learn more visit Electronic Case Reporting (eCR) | CDC.
Transport Mechanisms: Colorado requires the use of APHL AIMS and the Reportable Condition Knowledge Management System (RCKMS) to ensure appropriate reporting. To learn about connection to AIMS please visit Establish AIMS Connectivity for Testing.
- To initiate the onboarding process, please fill out the following google form:
- Email email@example.com, providing the following information:
- Organization name and CLIA
- EHR vendor
- Primary contact information (phone number and email address)
- Organization’s primary address
- Facilities should reach out to their EHR vendor to discuss options for implementing eCR and to learn more about their system’s ability to generate the eICR and receive and process a Reportability Response.
- Conditions currently published to RCKMS for CDPHE
- CDC: Electronic case reporting (eCR)
- APHL, AIMS Platform: eCR - Electronic Case Reporting
- AIMS Validator
- Colorado (CDPHE) Promoting Interoperability Program (formerly Meaningful Use)
Please contact the CDPHE eCR Team to initiate Onboarding or if you have questions.