In July 2020, the state legislature passed SB 20-055, Incentivize Development Recycling End Markets. This bill is intended to grow recycling programs by addressing the lack of local end markets for recyclable materials in Colorado.
The bill includes four main components:
- Recycling Market Development Center.
- Producer Responsibility Literature Review.
- Business Personal Property Tax Reimbursements.
- Statewide Education Campaign on Recycling.
For the Producer Responsibility Literature Review, the department will be reviewing applicable documents and other literature about programs from other states and countries. We will then make policy recommendations for the Colorado General Assembly based on findings from the document review.
The department will make this project a collaborative effort by engaging stakeholders from various sectors. While stakeholder engagement is not specifically required in SB 20-055, we find stakeholder engagement necessary for creating inclusive recommendations. Stakeholder feedback will be collected through a survey and subsequent stakeholder meetings.
For stakeholder review and comment
Draft policy recommendations for stakeholder review
The comment period is open and will end May 17th. Please download the document above for instructions on submitting comments.
We hosted two stakeholder meetings to review and discuss results from the survey sent in October, and to hear additional feedback from stakeholders.
Wednesday, January 13th, 11:30 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
- Slides from the January 13th stakeholder meeting.
- Closed captioned recording of the January 13 stakeholder meeting.
Wednesday, February 24th, 11:30 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
The review plan and stakeholder process timeline
Timing is subject to change. Please continue to check this page for updated information.
- Fall 2020: The department will review documents and other literature.
- December 2020 (or earlier): The department will send out a survey to gauge stakeholder perspectives on various programs and models identified in the literature review.
- January to March 2021: The department will host stakeholder meetings during this time.
- March - April 2021: Draft policy recommendations will be complete and sent for stakeholder review.
- April - June 2021: The final literature review and policy recommendation report will be completed.
- July 1, 2021: Literature review and policy recommendations report
For questions or comments contact:
Upcoming stakeholder outreach meetings
The Solid Waste and Materials Management Program will be hosting outreach meetings for our stakeholders during 2020 and 2021. We plan to host the stakeholder meetings in various locations throughout the state and will seek input on topics of interest before holding each meeting. Meeting content will be directed to a variety of stakeholders such as: local officials, landfill operators, recyclers, composters, local environmental health professionals, or anyone else interested in solid waste management.
We are working with the Colorado chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) to offer continuing education credits to those certified through SWANA's Manager of Landfill Operations course.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and write "Outreach" in the subject line,or call 303-692-3320 to RSVP.
Scheduled meeting locations and dates
Future stakeholder meetings are on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
None at this time.