On June 3rd, 2022, the Producer Responsibility Program for Statewide Recycling Act, House Bill 22-1355 was signed into law.
HB 22-1355 sets up a Producer Responsibility program that requires companies that sell products in packaging, paper products, and food serviceware to fund a statewide recycling system to recycle those materials. These companies will form an independent non-profit organization, called a Producer Responsibility Organization (PRO), to coordinate, fund, and manage this statewide recycling system.
- Companies will pay membership dues to the PRO based on the amount and type of packaging they sell in Colorado.
- The PRO will create one consistent statewide list of what can be recycled, and then the PRO will pay private companies and local governments to operate recycling collection and processing programs.
- The PRO will cover 100% of the costs of recycling, including consumer education and government oversight of the program.
- Colorado’s Department of Public Health and the Environment will oversee the PRO.
- An advisory board will be established, composed of local governments, recycling companies, nonprofits and other key stakeholders, to help the state oversee the program and to ensure the PRO system meets the needs of local Colorado communities and businesses.
This program will
- Provide funding mechanisms for recycling services and infrastructure across the state.
- Increase recycling access in Colorado, including apartments and rural areas.
- Save local governments money by reimbursing their costs to run their recycling programs.
- Support Colorado businesses by creating a more resilient domestic supply of raw material to make new products.
- Encourage producers to design and manage covered materials to prevent/minimize their negative environmental, social, economic and health impacts.
The producer responsibility program for statewide recycling advisory board will consist of thirteen voting board members and two non-voting board members from the Department and Producer Responsibility Organization.
The advisory board will be appointed by Dec. 31, 2022.
Advisory board application form
Download and save to your computer before filling out the form.
House Bill 22-1355
State legislation that authorizes the EPR program.
For updates on this program, please sign up by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line "producer responsibility contact list."
Producer Responsibility Lead