This page is for laboratories, health care providers, or public health staff who need to report a case of illness to the department.
Additional lab submission requirements:
- Specimen submission requirements for clinical microbiology laboratories.
- Colorado Lab Guidance for Selected Reportable Antimicrobial Resistant Organisms
For information on how to report COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 cases and outbreaks to CDPHE.
Communicable disease reporting for individual cases
Report to us or your local public health agency. There are several ways to report a case to us:
- Phone: 303-692-2700
- Fax a disease report form: 303-782-0338
- Fax a STI disease report form: 303-782-5393
- Infection preventionists and laboratories are encouraged to use CEDRS for case reporting. Individual health care providers should report cases by phone or fax.
- Many clinical laboratories can report lab results directly to CDPHE using electronic laboratory reporting. For information, contact email@example.com.
- Read our FAQ document on case reporting for facilities that use electronic lab reporting.
Outbreaks are instances in which more than one person is ill. Providers should report known or suspected outbreaks in settings such as health care facilities, child care centers, schools and workplaces immediately (within four hours of detection) to either the local public health agency or to us at 303-692-2700.
- Chickenpox outbreak report form (≥3 cases).
Public health reporting is mandated by law and is not affected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA specifically provides for public health reporting without a patient's authorization or consent.