Thank you to Colorado Legacy Land who assembled most of the historic photos on this page.
September 1954 - Site activities prior to the involvement of Cotter Corp., including mining, smelting, and railroad infrastructure.
July 1962 - Cotter had begun their operations in 1958 and started depositing mill tailings into unlined pits. The Shadow Hills Golf Course was also constructed northwest of the mill area.
September 1970 - The footprint of Cotter’s operations has increased, including the number of ponds used to discard mill tailings.
February 1979 - Cotter begins building two lined impoundments to replace the unlined ponds (called the Old Ponds Area) and constructs a new mill. The U.S. Soil Conservation Service completed a flood control dam on Sand Creek in 1972.
May 1988- Cotter milling operations next to the primary and secondary impoundment. Remnants from the Old Ponds Area can be seen.
September 1994 – The Cotter mill and vicinity.
March 2004 – Milling facility and equipment yard.
June 2006- During this time the Cotter Mill was in ‘stand-down’ mode (2005 to 2011) prior to decommissioning the facility.