Other topics regarding Vital Records




Proof of your relationship or direct and tangible interest is required. Applicants must submit proof of their relationship or documentation to establish their legal interest in obtaining vital records (e.g., birth or marriage certificates, certified court orders, insurance policies).

Eligibility for receipt of marriage verifications


All vital record requests must be accompanied by proof of identification.

Identification requirements



Register a birth for someone older than 1 year (delayed registration)

Registering a birth for someone older than 1 year is called a delayed registration. Before you can request to register a delayed birth record, you must first verify whether you have a registered birth record on file with the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics by requesting a search.

1. Request a search

  • Request a search of the state records by submitting a complete birth certificate application, including identification and fees.
  • If the record isn't found, you'll receive a Notification of No Record letter, Delayed Birth Registration Instructions and Application to Register a Delayed Birth Certificate.

​2. Apply for delayed birth registration

Apply to register a Delayed Birth Certificate by submitting:

  • A completed Application to Register a Delayed Birth Certificate.
  • A copy of the Notification of No Record.
  • A copy of your valid ID.
  • The non-refundable processing fees.
  • Required support documents as listed on the Application to Register a Delayed Birth Certificate.

Application must be made within ONE YEAR of the issuance date on the Notification of No Record letter. If the request is approved, the birth will be registered with the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics. One certified copy of the delayed birth certificate will be issued to the requester.



State rules regarding burial or cremation

Burial or spreading of ashes, outside established cemeteries, might be permitted by whoever manages or governs the land. This may be a city, county, national park service, federal bureau of land management, etc. It is important to check with the managing or governing entity before disposing of remains.

Embalming is not required if disposal is within 24 hours. A dead human body or fetus kept more than 24 hours before burial or cremation must be embalmed or properly refrigerated. Transport of remains may be in a container that is tightly sealed to prevent the leakage of fluids or odor.



Common-law marriage

Official verification of a common-law marriage isn't available. To record a marriage, the parties in a common-law marriage may complete
and sign an affidavit of marriage in front of a notary. This form may be filed with a Colorado county clerk and recorder’s office.

Sample affidavit of common-law marriage

Performing a marriage

Colorado recognizes both ceremonial and common-law marriages. Our Office of the State Registrar can provide verification for ceremonial marriages that have been registered with the state. Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (perform their own marriage ceremony). According to Colorado Revised Statute 14-2-109, a marriage may be solemnized by:

  • A judge of a court.
  • A court magistrate.
  • A retired judge of the court.
  • A public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages.
  • Indian tribe officials.
  • Clergy.
  • The parties to the marriage.

If you wish to solemnize your own marriage, you'll be responsible for acquiring, completing, and returning the license to marry to the 
appropriate county office of the clerk and recorder.

Family history research

You must submit an application for a certified copy of birth, death, marriage, civil union and dissolution (divorce) records to get vital record information through our office.