Remodeling a retail food establishment


We license and inspect restaurants and grocery/convenience stores in the following counties:
  • Clear Creek
  • Dolores
  • Moffat
  • Ouray
  • Park​
  • Pitkin (except the City of Aspen)
  • Rio Blanco
  • San Juan
​If you want to operate in a different jurisdiction, contact your local public health agency
Extensive remodeling includes, but is not limited to:
  • Increasing seating capacity by 15 seats or 20%, whichever is greater.
  • Alterations requiring a building permit.
  • Changes or alterations to nonpublic areas that result in reduction or increase of total space by 25% or more.
  • Capabilities to handle food, equipment and utensils in a sanitary manner have been diminished due to a food process or menu change that introduces new risks of foodborne illness.

1. Submit your plan review packet to us and include the $100 fee. Make check payable to CDPHE.

Plan review packet

A complete plan review packet will include the following:

  • Menu and food handling procedures.
  • Facility floor plan and equipment layout.
  • Equipment list by manufacturer and model number. Equipment designated for home use isn't acceptable.
  • Manufacturer's specification sheets for all equipment.
  • Mechanical diagrams, including plumbing, lighting, electrical, and kitchen and restroom ventilation.
  • Interior finish schedule. May include samples of materials, finishes and colors.

An incomplete packet may delay processing time.

Submit all documents to:

Division of Environmental Health & Sustainability
Plan Reviews
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, DEHS A2
Denver, CO 80246

2. Your plans will be reviewed within 14 days of receipt. Submittal of incomplete or incorrect plans may delay final approval.

3. Once your plans are approved, we will send you an invoice for the cost of the review (not to exceed $580) and license fee. We will also send you the license application and your plan review approval letter.
4. Return the license application and pay all invoices.

5. We will issue your license.

You can begin construction or operation when you receive your plan approval letter.