Food manufacturing and storage

Registration process changes for new applicants: effective September 1, 2021

On September 1, 2021 the process for submitting and processing a manufactured food, storage facility, or industrial hemp facility application will change.

  • All applications require a non-refundable $100.00 application fee, payable by check or money order. We cannot accept cash.
  • Please send the application fee only when submitting an application.
  • Applications will be processed by the department. Then we will provide you with an invoice for the remaining registration fee, payable by check or money order. We cannot accept cash.
  • Once you pay the remaining registration fee, we will issue your registration for a new facility.


The registration fees are:

  • Facilities with Gross Annual Sales above $150,000 or any industrial hemp facility - $300.
  • Facilities with Gross Annual Sales below $150,000 - $60.
  • Brewery, winery, spirit distillery, and grain storage - only a $100 non-refundable application fee.
  • Non-profit organizations must provide proof of tax status and have no application or registration fees.


Manufacturers, warehouses, re-packers, shellfish dealers, salvage operations, grain storage facilities and industrial hemp operations must be registered.

Food manufacturing and storage includes:

  • Selling your food to retailers
  • Re-packing
  • Shellfish dealers
  • Salvage operations
  • Grain storage facilities
  • Industrial hemp

When to submit a new application

Registration is specific to the owner and location. It is not transferable or prorated. If you started a new business, there is a change of owner or if the physical address of the facility changes, please submit a new application and fee. CDPHE does not register operations that are producing marijuana infused products. You need to contact the Department of Revenue, Marijuana Enforcement Division.


How to update your contact information

If the physical address of the facility and the owner did not change and you need to update your contact information (mailing address, email, phone number, trade name), please fill out Contact Information Change form.

  Contact Information Change form



All Manufactured Food registration renewals, including industrial hemp, were mailed on June 10, 2021.

Certificate of free sale

  Application for Certificate of Free Sale

Certificate of free sale is issued for products manufactured or warehoused in Colorado that are subject to state and federal food regulations. The fee is $150 each certificate.


  Approved source list

A listing of all manufactured food businesses that are active and current. List updated biweekly.


Additional licensing may be required.

Depending on the type of business, you may need some or all of the license types below:

Business license

Contact your local city office.

Retail food license

If you make and sell your food to the public, you might also need a retail food license.

City/county sales tax license

Contact your local city/county taxation office.

Get a sales tax license

You may be required to get a sales tax license from the Department of Revenue.

Federal tax ID number: TIN, EIN, ITIN, etc.

Internal Revenue Service or visit your local IRS office.

Building permit

Contact your regional building department.


303-692-3645, option 2


For invoicing questions
303-692-3645, option 4