Hemp in food

Hemp oil, lotion, hemp in coffee, capsules

Industrial hemp approved source list | Registration process | Resources | Frequently asked questions | Contact

Industrial hemp manufacturing is allowed in Colorado. Operators who manufacture foods, dietary supplements, or cosmetic products containing industrial hemp must be able to demonstrate that the industrial hemp ingredient comes from an approved source, conforms to the standard of identity established in statute, and meets the thresholds for THC. The State Health Department’s Hemp Program regulates and inspects all hemp manufacturing operations in Colorado. Industrial hemp farms are licensed and regulated by the Colorado Department of Agriculture, once the crop leaves the farm it is this department’s responsibility to oversee the manufacturing, packaging, warehousing, and distribution of hemp products. This includes extractions, any additional processing, and the relabeling or repackaging of all industrial hemp containing food, supplement, and cosmetic products.

Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) §35-61-101(7) defines industrial hemp as: "... a plant of the genus cannabis and any part of the plant, whether growing or not, containing a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration of no more than three-tenths of one percent on a dry weight basis.”

  Colorado Wholesale Food, Industrial Hemp, and Shellfish Regulations

6 CCR 1010-21, adopted by the Board of Health on February 17, 2021; effective, April 14, 2021.

  Notice regarding production and/or use of chemically modified or converted industrial hemp cannabinoids

May 14th, 2021 policy on Delta-8, Delta-10, THC-O, THC-V, and other chemically modified cannabinoids.

  Received an invoice? Pay it online.

Click on Sign Up first to create an account. You will need your invoice number, starting with EHS.

Industrial hemp approved source list

Monthly updated list of approved sources for industrial hemp operators. A listing of all registered manufactured food businesses that are active. ​

  Industrial hemp approved source list

Industrial Hemp registration delay: Due to legislative activities the normal time frame associated with your registrations will be delayed. Registrations are typically mailed out in mid May and due by June 30th of that year. These timeframes will not apply this year. We will keep you posted via email and this webpage on time frames, any changes to process and fees.

Registration process for new applicants

We are updating the registration form, it will be available shortly.

  • All applications require a non-refundable $100.00 application fee, payable by check or money order. We cannot accept cash.
  • Please send the application fee only when submitting an application.
  • Applications will be processed by the department. Then we will provide you with an invoice for the remaining registration fee, payable by check or money order. We cannot accept cash.
  • Once you pay the remaining registration fee, we will issue your registration for a new facility.

Industrial hemp resources

Frequently asked questions

Registration is specific to the owner and location. It is not transferable or prorated. If you started a new business, there is a change of owner or if the physical address of the facility changes, please submit a new application and fee. CDPHE does not register operations that are producing marijuana infused products. You need to contact the Department of Revenue, Marijuana Enforcement Division.

How to update your contact information

If the physical address of the facility and the owner did not change and you need to update your contact information (mailing address, email, phone number, trade name), please fill out the contact information change form.

  Manufactured Food contact information change form

Suggestions to make your operation more compliant:

Hemp "do's and don'ts."

Questions, answers and guidance provided by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Hemp products that are in compliance and manufactured by CDPHE-registered facilities can now be sold at retail marijuana facilities. For more information, please see the 2020 Department of Revenue compliance tip "Industrial Hemp Product," dated May 20, 2020.

MED compliance tips and guidance documents

For all questions and information about industrial hemp farming and testing of hemp crops, please visit Colorado Department of Agriculture Industrial Hemp Program web page.

A collaborative effort between multiple state and local agencies, tribal leaders and industry experts to determine a blueprint for this emerging industry.

Colorado Department of Agriculture programs

303-692-3645, option 2

For invoicing questions
303-692-3645, option 4