Performing a marriage

Colorado recognizes both ceremonial and common-law marriages. Our Office of the State Registrar can provide verification for ceremonial marriages that have been registered with the state. Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (perform their own marriage ceremony). According to Colorado Revised Statute 14-2-109, a marriage may be solemnized by:
  • A judge of a court.
  • A court magistrate.
  • A retired judge of the court.
  • A public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages.
  • Indian tribe officials.
  • Clergy.
  • The parties to the marriage.

If you wish to solemnize your own marriage, you'll be responsible for acquiring, completing and returning the license to marry to the 
appropriate county office of the clerk and recorder.