Home care agencies



People who need:

  • Clinical services in their home or a permanent place of residence, such as an assisted living residence.
  • Personal services, such as assistance with housekeeping, in their home in order to live independently.

Two classifications:

  • Medical (or Class A) agencies provide services by licensed or certified health care practitioners, such as nurses, occupational therapists and respiratory therapists.
  • Non-medical (or Class B) agencies provide personal care services that assist with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, toileting and, in some cases, housekeeping.

Licensed/certified professionals routinely available

  • Medical: professionals ranging from nurses to physical therapists to social workers, depending on the agency's scope of services.
  • Non-medical: no requirements for licensed/certified health care professionals.