Retail food: restaurants and grocery stores


The mission of the Retail Food Program is to provide effective means for the prevention of foodborne illnesses in Colorado. The vision of the program is to promote and protect public health through education and partnerships to advance food safety. Restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, catering operations, food trucks and push-carts must have a retail food license.

Get a sales tax license through the Colorado Department of Revenue. Sales tax licenses are required to operate a retail food establishment.

Additional licensing may be required.

Depending on the type of business, you may need some or all of the license types below:

Business License: Contact your local city office.

City/County sales tax license: Contact the local city/county taxation office.

Liquor License: Colorado Department of Revenue.

Federal tax ID number (TIN, EIN, ITIN, etc.): Internal Revenue Service or visit your local IRS office.

Building permit: Contact your regional building department.

  View restaurant inspections by county



303-692-3645, option #1


For invoicing questions

303-692-3645, option #4