Phase 2 of the Healthcare Workers Recruitment and Re-engagement program began on September 1, 2023.
A Request for Applications (RFA) is used to award grants to promote specific program goals. An organization (in this case, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment) announces that grant funding is available, and eligible organizations may apply for it. The purpose of this RFA from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) is to incentivize and assist employers in the recruitment of healthcare professionals to employment in long-term care facilities (LTCF), facilities with a Facility Healthcare Professional Shortage Area federal designation, and home-care agencies. If a facility successfully recruits a licensed or certified professional who works a minimum of 20 hours per week on average and for a minimum of six months, the facility is eligible to receive a one-time payment of $20,000 per professional.
Organizations that may apply for funding are:
- Long-term care facilities, i.e. nursing homes, nursing facilities, skilled nursing facilities, intermediate care facilities, or health facilities that are planned, organized, operated, and maintained to provide supportive, restorative, and preventative services to persons who, due to physical and/or mental disability, require continuous or regular inpatient care.
- Facilities that hold an official federal designation as a Facility Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
- Home-care agencies.
- Facilities that completed the Intent to Apply of Phase 1 and were deemed eligible for Phase 1.
In order to receive grant funding, a facility that is eligible based on the above criteria must hire a qualifying healthcare professional who works for the facility for a minimum of 20 hours per week on average for six consecutive months.
The following healthcare professionals qualify the applicant for the award.
Any professional who holds a certification from in any of the following programs:
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certified Medical Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Certified Patient Care Technician
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician
- Dementia Care Certification
- Dental Assisting
- EKG -CET Technician
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
- National Certification for ICD-10 and Medical Billing
- National Opticianry Competency Examination
- National Registry Emergency Medical Technicians
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Qualified Medication Administration Person (QMAP)
- Registered Behavior Technician
Any professional who holds an active license as listed.
- APN - Advanced Practice Nurses
- C-APN - Compact Advanced Practice Authority
- CDR - Compact Physician
- CDRH - Compact Physician
- CNA - Certified Nurses Aid
- C-IV - Compact Intravenous Certification
- DD - Psychiatric technician - Developmentally disabled
- DEN - Dentist
- DH - Dental Hygienist
- DR - Physician - All statuses
- DRP - Pro Bono Physician
- IV - Intravenous Certification
- LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor
- LPCC - Licensed Professional Counselor Candidate
- LSW - Licensed Social Worker
- MAA - Medication Aide Authority
- MI - Psychiatric Technician - Mentally Ill
- MT - Massage Therapist
- NA - Certified Nurse Aide
- OT - Occupational Therapist - All statuses (no fee required)
- OTA - Occupational Therapy Assistant - All statuses (no fee required)
- OTAP - Provisional Occupational Therapist Assistant - All statuses (no fee required)
- OTP - Provisional Occupational Therapist - All statuses (no fee required)
- PA - Physician Assistant
- POD - Podiatrist
- PN - Licensed Practical Nurse
- PSLP - Provisional Speech Language - Pathologist
- PTA - Physical Therapist Assistant
- PTL - Physical Therapist
- PTLP - Physical Therapist Provisional
- PSY - Licensed Psychologist
- RN - Registered Nurse
- RTL - Respiratory Therapist
- RXN - Prescriptive Authority
- SLP - Speech Language - Pathologist
- TPNP - Temporary Practical Nurse Permit
No facility will be eligible to receive more than $240,000 in total. Each contract will be effective upon approval by the State Controller through December 31, 2026. All aspects of the project are dependent upon funding availability.
- Creative Retention Strategies
- Healthcare Workers Recruitment and Re-engagement Fund Request for Applications
Resources for Applicants
- Previously asked questions and answers
- CDPHE’s CO-CARES initiative provides additional resources to improve healthcare worker retention.
- The Colorado Community College System’s Care Forward program may help applicants connect with qualifying healthcare professionals.
- Program Coordinator: Emily Roozen
- Program email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule of activities
Sept. 6, 2023
Answers to written inquiries and any changes to the RFA published monthly until July 30, 2024
Application submission deadline
Nov. 30, 2024
Estimated contract effective date
Two months after submission of the application