These are resources for spiritual communities following a death by suicide or a suicide attempt. In public health, supports and resources offered at this time are known as “postvention.” (The Office of Suicide Prevention has identified additional resources for support following a suicide attempt here, and for support following a suicide loss here).
General Postvention Resources
- The National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention, Faith Communities Task Force
- Contains resources and information on self-care for spiritual leaders following a death by suicide
- Suicide Prevention Competencies for Faith Leaders
- Contains skill-based resources for counseling for those impacted by a death by suicide for faith leaders
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE)
- Grief support for suicide loss survivors, including finding a support group, grief support packages, and other connections and resources.
- Suicide Prevention Coalition of Colorado
- iCare Packages
- Free care packages that can be sent to individuals who have experienced a loss to suicide in Colorado
Christian Postvention Resources
Workshop for faith leaders in counseling for those impacted by a death by suicide and survivors of suicide attempt
Islamic Postvention Resources
The Muslim Community Suicide Response Manual: offers comprehensive community grief suggested services, programs, and communication strategies for suicide loss, including suicide announcement suggestions, suicide khutbah suggestions, and community leader trainings
Also includes the 500 Imams project, which is looking to train 500 Imams in the US in suicide prevention and suicide care by 2022.