All LARC Symposiums are postponed until 2021. Stay tuned for future registration opportunities.
What would I learn during a LARC Symposium?
Sessions will be available for all skill levels ranging from basic intrauterine device (IUD) and contraceptive implant counseling to advanced troubleshooting for difficult insertions and managing side effects. The LARC Symposium is free to attend for CDPHE-funded family planning subrecipients. Training will include an overview of LARC in Colorado, contraceptive counseling, and hands-on LARC insertion and clinical guidelines.
Past Symposium Topics
- History of LARCS in Colorado &, Nationally.
- Client-Centered Contraceptive Counseling.
- IUD Placement &, Removal Basics.
- LARC Challenging Cases.
- Virtual pelvic simulator practice.
Online LARC Training for Clinicians
- This online training is a didactic overview on intrauterine contraception. It is intended to be fundamental only and should be supplemented with hands-on skills training. Attending a hands-on session to practice techniques is strongly recommended.
Clinical Training Program for NEXPLANON
- Receive hands-on training for insertion and removal procedures as well as implant localization techniques. Completion of this course will allow you to order the product from authorized distributors. This session, which is sponsored by Merck, is not accredited for continuing education credit.
History of LARCS in Colorado &, Nationally
- Brief discussion of the history of LARC in Colorado, LARC initiatives in other states, and the importance of making LARC available to all women
Client-Centered Contraceptive Counseling
- High quality, client-centered contraceptive counseling using motivational interviewing techniques and a tiered approach
IUD Placement &, Removal Basics
- Intrauterine device (IUD) training is a 3-hour training that involves both didactic and hands-on skills-based portions on proper placement and removal of Skyla®, Mirena®, Kyleena®,ParaGard® and Liletta®.
LARC Challenging Cases - Complications &, Difficult Placements and Removals
- In this session, participants will explore strategies to reduce the number of failed IUD placements, streamline implant removal and minimize the risk of adverse events with placement and removal of LARC methods. Participants will receive 3 techniques for minimizing the risk of perforation. In addition, advanced techniques for difficult contraceptive implant removals and strategies for dealing with IUD removals with missing strings will be discussed.
Additional LARC Training and Support
Questions about the LARC Symposium? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want more hands-on training? Sign up for Denver Health’s 2-day long-acting reversible contraception training for licensed, practicing providers on-site at its Community Health Centers. There is no cost for trainees to attend, as the initiative is grant-supported at this time. To learn more about the program and eligibility, check out the program flyer.