Over 90% of Colorado families choose to start breastfeeding. In order to get the best start, it is important to ensure the place you deliver your baby can provide your family with the best care.
Baby-Friendly designated hospitals uphold the highest standards in maternal support and infant feeding care. These hospitals are trained and prepared to help you and your new baby get off to the best start.
Officially designated hospitals follow the global guidelines of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative and are verified by a third-party (Baby-Friendly USA) that holds them accountable.
Baby-Friendly At-a-Glance Info - handout for families.
Baby-Friendly hospitals are all about education and support. When you choose an officially designated hospital, there are a number of things you can expect:
- The hospital has a culture (and policies) supportive of moms and babies.
- All staff are educated on and can support moms with breastfeeding.
- Health care staff will inform you of the benefits of breastfeeding and support you while you are pregnant, so you can make the decision that is right for you and your family.
- Your baby will be placed skin-to-skin with you immediately after birth.
- You will get the support you need to begin breastfeeding within one hour after birth, or if your family chooses, to safely feed formula.
- You will immediately be able to room with your baby, so you can learn about your baby and get to know your baby before leaving the hospital.
- Your baby will receive no food other than breast milk, unless medically indicated, during your hospital stay.
- Your baby will not get any artificial nipples or pacifiers from the hospital, other than for medical reasons, to ensure the development of optimal breastfeeding.
- The hospital will refer you to breastfeeding support groups or resources in your community to provide you with support after you leave the hospital.
You will be protected from the commercial interests of formula companies.
Purple stars = Baby-Friendly designated hospitals.
Blue stars = Colorado Baby-Friendly Hospital Collaborative member hospitals.
American Academy of Pediatrics: Breastfeeding resources.
Office on Women’s Health.
Women, Infants and Children (WIC):
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Breastfeeding Resources.
- Breastfeeding in Hospitals, Worksites and Communities.
- Guidelines and Recommendations.
American Association of Family Physicians: Tips for Breastfeeding Success.
The Joint Commission: Speak Up - What you need to know about breastfeeding.
International Lactation Consultant Association: Find lactation support.
La Leche League: Mother-to-mother breastfeeding support.
Lamaze International: Tips for Establishing Breastfeeding.
Colorado Breastfeeding Laws - English and Spanish.
Life with Breastfeeding - parent toolkit | Spanish.
Tips for Starting Your Breastfed Baby in Child Care - parent toolkit | Spanish.
Colorado Breastfeeding Coalition.
La Leche League: Mountain Plains | Colorado Wyoming.